Macaroni and Cheese



It's a rainy, gloomy and cold day here today and I started thinking about comfort food. Then I remembered my old Macaroni and Cheese recipe so I dug it out of my archives and remade it. Just as good as I remember!
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
I normally don't like to do substitutions for cheesy things because they leave me feeling deprived, HOWEVER I bought a package of the Borden’s™ Fat free cheese singles and tried them. They didn't taste like paste! They tasted like the full fat singles!! I was amazed so I wondered how it would be in Mac and Cheese. I made it and it was GREAT! My husband even thought it was the real thing! He couldn't tell it was fat free. He said, "It tastes like REALLY good mac and cheese."
I got this recipe off a pasta box years ago so this isn't my own creation. I just changed the full fat milk and cheese to non fat and the butter to oil...

2 TBLSP Cornstarch
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Dry mustard
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 1/2 Cups Skim milk
2 TBLSP Olive oil
12 BORDEN™ Fat free cheese slices
8 oz Elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cornstarch, Salt, dry mustard and pepper; stir in skim milk until smooth.
Add the oil. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium-high heat and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Reserve 2 slices of the cheese for the topping.
Stir in remaining cheese until melted.
Add cooked elbows.
Turn into a 2 qt casserole dish that has been sprayed with oil. Top with the two slices of reserved cheese, torn into smaller pieces.
Bake uncovered at for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Makes 6 servings

Comments

Popular Posts