Sloppy Joes





Did you know that my first experience with cooking was when I made Sloppy Joe’s? I was about 9 or 10 at the time.  I wasn’t allowed to use a knife yet, but I was bored and my grandmother gave me some extra ground beef so I could make something with it. I browned it in a pan and added ketchup and minced onion from a jar. I didn’t even know it was called Sloppy Joes. I just figured I liked all the ingredients so I figured it would taste good and it did. Well, here it is only ALL GROWN UP! I think it will appeal to children as well as the child in you. (You can also add a cup or so of raw spinach, chopped, to sneak in that extra nutrition. You can’t even taste it.)



1 TBLSP Olive Oil
1 lb Ground Chicken breast
1/2 Onion, minced
1/2 Green Pepper chopped
2 Garlic clove, minced
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Red Wine vinegar
1 TBLSP Brown sugar
3/4 Cup Ketchup
1 tsp Prepared mustard
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp Gravy Master (optional for darker color)
1 cup Water 

Rolls

Mix the garlic powder through the water in a bowl and set aside.

Cook the ground chicken, onion, green pepper and garlic in a high sided pan over medium heat until the chicken is cooked.

Stir in the sauce mixture and let simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the mixture is thick and all the water has disappeared.

Spoon onto rolls and enjoy! 

Makes about 3 servings

Approximately 4 grams of unsaturated fat per serving
 

Comments

Popular Posts