Kimchi and Sweet Potato Stew


I just had eye surgery yesterday and I'll be recuperating for the next week. I always feel that spicy stews with veggies heal me. Especially sweet potatoes. Maybe it's in my mind, but I always feel healthier and stronger afterward. I also like to make things for lunches during the week for myself that I love and my husband doesn't so I can have my fill and he doesn't have to endure it! 

I was relaxing on the couch watching cooking videos (my favorite pastime) and saw a Kimchi Stew recipe made with pork belly. That was definitely a no go. But this was a perfect idea and starting point sans the pork belly! I wanted to make something vegan/ vegetarian anyway AND I had kimchi in the fridge from the Asian market.

I knew I had sweet potatoes and onions and I  scrounged through the fridge and pan to see what else I could throw in. I had 2 leeks I had to use up so I took those out. I just winged the rest.

You can use whatever veggies you like. Mind you I was going for what I had on hand and most importantly I was going for EASY. I just wanted to through some things in a pot, simmer it and let it do it's thing.

1 TBLSP Olive oil
1 16oz jar Kimchi
1 Sweet Potato, cut into bite size pieces
1 large Onion, halved and sliced
2 Leeks, sliced and soaked to clean
2 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 TBLSP of Gojujang (for spicy sweet flavor as well as more red color)
2 TBLSP Rice Wine vinegar (for a little more sour flavor)
1 TBLSP See oil (because I love sesame oil)

Drain the kimchi over a bowl and wring the excess liquid out, reserving the liquid in a bowl.

Heat a small stock pot over medium heat, add a TBLSP of olive oil. Saute the kimchi for a few minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until sweet Potatoes are tender.

Serve with rice, noodles or alone.



Comments

Popular Posts