Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Noodle Soup


I've been experimenting with some Vegan soups lately and followed a few recipes I just wasn't happy with. My husband said to forget the recipes and just do what I feel like and what tastes good to ME. Well I LOVE caramelized onions and I Asian flavors AND I live noodles. Oh do I LOVE NOODLES!!!

So here is my most recent love child in the form of soup!

Oh, if you are wondering why I didn't just cook the noodles in the soup, I learned this past year that Asian cooks like to add the noodles in AFTER so it doesn't cloudy up the soup! Ah HA!!!




2 TBLSP Grapeseed or Avocado Oil
1 large Onion, halved then sliced
3 cups Oyster Mushrooms, sliced
1 cup sliced Baby Bellas
6 dried Shiitake mushrooms soaked in 1 cup very hot water, squeezed, then sliced (reserve the water they were soaked in)
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 inch piece Ginger, minced
6 cups Vegetable Stock
3 TBLSP Low sodium Soy sauce
1 TBLSP Dark Soy Sauce
14.2 oz package of cooked stir fry Noodles (I used Kame brand) or 6 ounces dry noodles, cooked to shy of al dente.

Scallions, sliced
Sesame Oil to drizzle

Heat a soup pot over medium heat, add one TBLSP of the oil.

Stir in the onions and lower the heat to medium low. Add a pinch of salt and cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring every now and then until they are very, soft and golden brown.

Transfer the onions to a bowl or plate and set aside.

Raise the heat to medium-high and add the other TBLSP of oil. Add the mushrooms and leave them for a few minutes until you get some that have brown, stir and flip them to get some more browning.

Stir in the garlic and ginger, cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant.

Pour in the vegetable stock, the reserved water from the shiitake mushrooms and soy sauces.

Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes.

Give it a taste and add more salt if necessary.

Add the noodles and simmer for about 5 minutes more until the noodles are al dente.

Serve in bowls sprinkled with sliced scallion and a drizzle of sesame oil.

Servings = 6
Approximately 7 grams of unsaturated fat per serving

Comments

Popular Posts