Tortilla Soup


I've  been making this soup for years, probably  as long as I've been on the Swank Diet. That's  why I was surprised  when I realized  the recipe wasn't  on my blog!

This soup is so flavorful and pairs very well with my chicken  rolls, another recipe  I've been making as long as I've been on the Swank (also on this blog). It also can be served alone as a lunch or dinner.

Feel free to omit the chicken and swap the chicken broth with veggie  broth for a vegetarian/vegan meal.

Load it up with as many toppings as you like or none at all. 

You can cut your own tortillas and bake them in the oven and I've done this, but usually  I just buy them pre-made in a bag (normally found  in the produce department  or by the croutons)Croutons. I use the Fresh Gourmet brand which has 0 saturated  fat per serving.

Would it still be tortilla soup if it was just  topped with tortilla strips? Sure... I say it CAN. So they are really just optional  and can be left off if you'd like.


1 TBLSP Avocado oil

1 large Onion, diced

1 red or green Pepper, diced

1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded and ribs removed,  diced

1 clove Garlic, minced

1 TBLSP Tomato paste

3/4 tsp Salt

A few grindings of fresh pepper

2 TBLSP  Chili  powder

1 tsp Cumin

1 can Rotel

1 8 oz can Corn

1 15 can Black Beans

3 cups Chicken stock 

1 cup cooked shredded chicken breast


Optional toppings include tortilla strips, avocado, fat free or permissible plant based cheese, fat free or permissible plant based sour cream,  cilantro.


Heat a 3 qt soup pot over medium heat.

Add the oil, then the onion, peppers  and garlic.

Cook until the the vegetables soften, stirring  often, about 5-10 minutes.

Stir in the tomato paste and let cook for another 2 minutes.

Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, chili and cumin.

Stir and let cook for another minute.

Pour in the Rotel, corn, black beans, stock and chicken.

Stir, bring to a boil and then lower to a slow simmer. 

Cook for 30 minutes or up to an hour.


12 grams unsaturated fat and 2 grams of saturated fat for the whole recipe 




Comments

Popular Posts